I don't know if I have ever been more satisfied with the outcome of the Super Bowl. Some initial thoughts:
- The Patriots will now be compared to the '84 49ers and the '85 Bears, both of whom also went 18-1. The only difference: both of those teams won the Super Bowl.
- Maybe, instead of scoffing and giving smug press conferences like this, the Pats should wait until after the game. Because shit like that can come back to haunt you. Plaxico said that the Patriots would score17 points, and he apparently gave them too much credit. The Pats actually scored 14, 7 of which came after a pass interference call put the ball on the 1-yard-line, and 7 of which came with less than 3 minutes to go in the game.
- Bill Belichick apparently thinks that if he isn't there to witness the end of a game, then it didn't happen, or something. Bill, learn how to lose with class you dick.
- Good to know that the Patriots O-linemen will have plenty of time to tend to their beards now. Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and Michael Strahan undressed those guys last night. The Giants rarely rushed more than four defenders, and they were in Brady's face all night.
- Bill Simmons can't be liking this. And that makes all of us happy.
- ESPN can now dispense with the stupid "how would this current team do agaist these all-time great teams" pieces. Forever. Please. First of all, they began comparing the Pats to all-time great teams before the playoffs had even started. Second, the last time they wasted all of our time with one of those series, it was for the 2005 USC Trojans football team, and we all remember how that turned out.
- Its so great that Junior Seau and his stupid hats will have to wait at least another year to gravy-train a championship ring. Or who knows, maybe he will graduate.
- The only negative is that now we have to hear from the F-ing '72 Dolphins. The Giants hadn't even finished spraying each other with champagne and Mercury Morris was already giving a self-congratulatory interview on ESPN. I know, he was available? Who knew?
Thanks to The Big Lead for the pics.